Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Machine Shop

I left work early today because I felt so exhausted. That cold that's been going around is trying to chip away at me. So I went home and went straight to bed. I felt much better after a 2-hour nap. But I still didn't feel much like doing anything but staying unconscious.

I tried staying alert at my desk, but my body wasn't having it. I let my body decide what I should have for dinner as well. I ended up making macaroni & cheese, with sharp cheddar, gorgonzola, and parmesan cheese. All that grating and stirring helped get my mind off my tongue. I also made a fresh spinach salad with tomatoes and my shallot vinaigrette (actually, it's Todd English's). All the fresh spinach and fresh veggies I've been forcing myself to eat has been paying off. Last night, my pH level was 7.5! Supposedly, cancer cells don't do well in high-alkaline environments. So I was able to get my acidic levels low and alkaline high in just a few days.

Again, the human body is a screwy thing.

I wanted to make another protein shake tonight, but it got too late since I have to take my herbal medicine at 9:00pm on an empty stomach. So much of what I have to do gets easily conflicted if I get the slightest bit lazy or careless. Focusing on what I have to do physically is a kind of emotional therapy. Regarding my body like a machine I have to perform care and maintenance on helps me cope. Especially since most of the things I have to do have an almost instant positive effect.

1 Comments:

Blogger Merujo said...

I found your blog by chance by hitting "Next Blog" last week. It's some of the most compelling reading I've done in some time.

I hope that your wedding is beautiful and joyful, and I wish you a lifetime of strength, good health, happiness, and much contentment.

May 06, 2005 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home