Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Relief

The pain has gotten more manageable. Since I can't spend all day doing yoga or meditating, I've stopped trying to be a hero and started taking as much Motrin as needed, when I need it. I also took Chuck's advice and started using the Biotene Mouthwash for dry mouth. It's my new favorite thing since it also eases some of the pain. I'm even able to eat oatmeal for breakfast this morning.

It's my fourth day taking red ginseng extract. I don't know if it's doing any good, but it's not hurting. The dried mushrooms are pretty tasty, too. I drink the water I boil them in like tea, then cook the mushrooms in whatever I'm making for dinner that night. I'm not sure if they're the right mushrooms, but as long as they're wild mushrooms, they're doing some good.

I had a lot of fresh fruit for lunch yesterday. I was just shoveling the stuff as quickly as I could stand. But the wierdest thing was at dinner. I made a spinach salad, and couldn't stop eating it. Maybe it's true that the body craves what it needs, because before the first bite I was much less excited about it.

I've also started drinking Ensure because I'm not gaining any weight. Here's a statement that will make most brides hate me: if I'm going to fit into my wedding dress in two weeks, I'd better keep eating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home