Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

2-hour meals

It's getting harder to eat. Even carrots hurt now. Mostly, I cook diced tomatoes, cabbage, mushrooms, and anything soft in either chicken or beef broth. I can still have beet salad, though. I've got a great recipe with a shallot vinaigrette and chevre. It doesn't hurt too much as long as I keep it on the far right side of my mouth. Even with Motrin, it just takes me over an hour to eat.

Oatmeal has become almost unbearable. I've had to make time for either cheese and spinach omelets or pancakes in the morning. Otherwise, it's maple yogurt with lots of flaxseed. Paul M. introduced me to the best blueberry pancakes the other day. They're at a diner in North Hollywood called Sitton's. I had them with a side of vanilla ice cream. I'm definitely going back for their milkshakes.

I'm still waiting for the Chinese herbal medicine to arrive. Yesterday, I went to an herbal store and scored some dried mushrooms and red ginseng extract. The goal is to have the most insanely strong immune system possible, and reduce the amount of acid while increasing the amount of alkaline in my system. So many things to consider, especially for someone whose idea of a meal was a Superstar Burger value meal.

So many changes, with more to come.

7 Comments:

Blogger clowny said...

Sounds like a plan. I use Biotene toothpaste, I just forgot they made mouthwash, too.

I have an aloe vera plant, but extreme temperatures in my mouth are pretty painful. I'll give it a try someday, I'm sure.

Thanks again.

L.

April 18, 2005 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to use a non-alcohol wash too when I had some work done to me teefs... long story short, my gums were mad and one of the only non-alcohol washes out there is by Rembrandt. It's a whitener so I'm not sure if that would be bad for you but its real mild.
hugs - John L

April 18, 2005 5:48 PM  
Blogger clowny said...

A whitener? That's exactly what I need since the fluoride treatment is staining my teeth like a mofo. I had no idea Rembrandt was non-alcohol.

Thanks, John.

L.

April 18, 2005 7:11 PM  
Blogger dolce said...

You give me a call anytime you're headed to North Hollywood, and not only will I meet you there, but pancakes are on me!

Sol

April 18, 2005 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet! glad to help. it's not the cheapest wash and its like one size bottle or something but it works nicely. works well for inflammed gums and sensative stuff. plus the white-action... it's even in a white bottle! ;)
bunnies & cuddles
john L

April 18, 2005 8:30 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

It may sound gross, but have you tried baby food? Gerber makes some pretty tasty organic varieties. Plus, they are cheap, can be stocked up on and are good hot, cold, or room temp. (Whatever works best for you!)

April 19, 2005 1:44 PM  
Blogger clowny said...

You're right, it does sound gross. But I'm not ruling it out. I think my ego more than anything is going to keep me from hitting the Gerbers.

But thanks for the suggestion, Erin. It is appreciated.

L.

April 19, 2005 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home