Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Hellmouth

Ali and Giddy (his aunt) told me very nervously that sometimes I have really bad breath. He said his mom was the same way when she was going through cancer treatment. Because of how much my mouth has been hurting, I haven't been brushing my tongue. I guess I shouldn't skip that. Combined with how acidic my saliva has become... well, you get the idea.

I can't really use mouthwash because of the alcohol content, and the breath strips are out because they hurt too much. So Giddy said I should chew on mint leaves, then tossed over a bunch of candy cane drops.

What a pain in the ass.

The tumor is stiffening up the left side of my tongue, so now I'm swallowing in a really wierd way. Result: I'm burping an awful lot; about as frequently and loudly as a nine-year-old boy. James thinks it's funny, but the novelty is dying out really fast with me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

clowny, do you like fennel seeds? you can just let it sort of sit in your mouth w/o chewing too vigorously and it's like licorice but nicer ( i think so anyway, it's one of those love-it-or-hate-it things) and supposedly aids digestion...
thinking of you all the time. just...wishing you well. p.s. the pictures of the men in skirts on parade is the funniest ever, i swear! you made a cute mascot!!heehee.

April 17, 2005 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home