Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Planning for the end

Derrick from Hospice Care came by the apartment this afternoon to check up on me. We went over the really depressing stuff: the DNR and "Advance Healthcare Directive" forms. Basically, who's in charge when I'm unable to make medical decisions on my own. James knows better than anyone what my wishes are, but in the event that he's not available if something should happen, I'd better get it all down in black & white.

Derrick was actually very nice, and clued me in another Hospice Service: music therapy. I would love to get someone to come in on a regular basis and play cello, for example. Turns out, the doctor who championed the whole hospice care program is the same doctor who's coming over next Tuesday. Lucky me.

I was looking over my meal and medication logs, and I'm consuming more pills than food. I expected it would happen eventually, but not so soon. The morphine is helping with the pain, but not with my lack of control over my tongue. So, more juicing and protein shakes again, just like after the surgery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home