Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Chemo Follow-Up

Met with Dr. B this morning. He's up to speed on last week's tracheostomy, and wanted to talk about any effects I've had from the first chemo session. The only side effect I had was mild nausea and fatigue, which is good news. We spoke more about pain management, and how I've been feeling. So he gave the green light for my 2nd round of chemo, which will be Wednesday, June 8th.

I'm worried because I've dropped down to 92lbs. I know most of it is due to my hospital stay. But now I've got to get extremely serious about gaining weight, not just maintaining it. Especially now since I'll be continuing with the chemo, and I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO KEEP UP MY STRENGTH.

But there's also some good news. Whether it's due to chemo, the alkaline boosting protocol, or the herbal medicine, tissue loss on my tongue has halted completely as of yesterday. It's still swollen, but my breath hasn't been as bad and I haven't been rinsing out as much dead tissue for a long while. I can't begin to tell you how encouraging it is.

After my appointment, James and I went to Borders. I bought "The Doctor's Book of Food Remedies" and "Cancer: Fight it With the Blood Type Diet." The two books together go a long way towards helping me decide whether or not to have a blueberry protien shake (which has ellagic acids that are good against cancer cell production), or a banana shake (to help against diarrhea, which is common during chemo).

On the way home, we saw this clothing store in Silverlake where there were hats on display. So we pulled over since I absolutely need to wear one over the summer. But the hats were over $175, which makes sense, since the store was more of a vintage clothing/art gallery type shop. Such is Sunset around that area these days. However, there was a furniture store next door that had the same vintage/art gallery type feel. James and I found this incredible green sofa made in 1974. Even better, it has a pull-out bed and its mattress is still seal-wrapped in plastic. There were a few nics here and there on the false leather upholstry, but the springs had absolutely no rust, and IT IS SO COMFORTABLE. As all you Haruki Murakami fans out there know, a comfortable sofa is very important. Well, that's one less thing James and I have to worry about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home