Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Chemo

I spoke to Dr. B this afternoon. He looks like the actor on the West Wing who took over Josh's job, but with longer hair. A complete 180 degree turn from Dr. S. He talked about chemo drugs that I'd never heard of, so of course 90% of my questions went right out the window. But we talked about shrinking the tumor rather than the all-or-nothing tone of curing outright. He was very encouraging and had loads of positive energy. I like him.

So, on May 11th, I'll start on a Carboplatin IV in the chemo clinic. If I don't get sick, I'll have ten sessions, once very three weeks along with 2 Xeloda tablets a day. I probably won't lose my hair, and nausea will be kept to a minimum.

I asked about possible negative interactions with Chinese herbal remedies. He said their hasn't been any definitive proof of herbal remedies helping or hurting, basically leaving it up to me. I haven't decided yet. But I think I will be starting acupuncture soon for pain management.

It was a really good appointment. I'm feeling a little tired, but also a little hopeful.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there,
Great blog you have here. I really enjoyed reading the posts here today. I'll be back next month to see if you have anything new. Keep up the great new information.
alternative health
www.alternativehealthreporter.com

February 10, 2006 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home