Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I'm Back in the Asian Club

I can taste rice again!

For lunch today, I scored a chicken curry bowl at the food court across from the Federal Courthouse, thinking that I can at least get some vegetables and smell the curry through my mouth. But even though I couldn't taste the curry I definitely tasted the rice. Finally!

I'm a little concerned that breads and grains are the only things I can taste so far, only because of the temptation to go with a strictly carb diet. I'm still going strong with tofu most every night. Tonight I had a tomato and watercress salad. Watercress is supposed to be good for clearing the body of carcinogens, and tomatoes just plain rock.

I also made pizza dough for tomorrow's get-together. I was afraid that my loft would be too cold for the dough to rise, but I set the dough near the space heater for the first rising and it ballooned like a trooper. I may spend the weekend making bread. I want to try stuffed foccacia, or maybe even challah.

Started exercising again today. It's been a few weeks because of the fatigue that hit me near the end of r-therapy. Did a half-hour of yoga in the morning, then Pilates while the dough was rising. I took it easy, but it felt good. Tomorrow morning I'll try the free-weights.

1 Comments:

Blogger clowny said...

I wasn't kicked out so much as put on gastronomic probation. I couldn't taste rice after the 3rd week of radiation therapy, and Thai food was out because the spicy stuff made me go fetal. The only things that kept my foot in the door were all the tofu soup I was eating and my mad crush on Maggie Cheung.

December 15, 2004 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home