Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Bread's back on the menu

I attended my friend Adam's open house tonight. He has the penthouse in the building my loft is in, and what he did to the space was just amazing. There was even a 20 bazillion foot Christmas tree that he stole from a lot on Wilshire (well done)! Three other friends live in the building, which is right around the corner from Cole's. It's like living in the dorms, only with better liquor and no classes!

The buffet set-up was great; three kinds of soup, a mashed potato bar, pressed sandwiches, LOTS of pretty bottles of alcohol, and a wonderful view of Downtown L.A. At first, I stuck to the soup and mashed potatoes, but I was a little bit encouraged when I could taste the curry in the butternut squash soup. Plus my tongue wasn't stinging from the club soda.

So I grabbed one of the pressed sandwiches, a ham and cheese on rosemary foccacia. My head exploded when I could actually taste the bread, AND it didn't hurt my tongue! So I went to town on the cream puff tower. I must've had at least 20 of those little suckers. I still can't taste anything sweet, but the puff pastry registered.

Since it was a party, I also put on some make-up for the first time in months. I put the stuff on well in advance in case it irritated the radiated area. But no problem. In fact, most of the redness is already fading. Not completely, but not so much that you can tell. I may look normal by New Years Eve.

All in all, it was a great night. Very cold, but great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home