Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Friday, December 03, 2004

Which circle of hell are contractors in?

Picture a Persian Christopher Lloyd in "Back to the Future", except he ended up at "Saturday Night Fever's" wardrobe trailer and never looked back. Wednesday morning, I was shivering under three layers, when Isaac the plumbing contractor struts out of his car in a leather jacket and polyester slacks, his shirt collar exposing his hairy chest, and I'm waiting for someone to cue the Bee Gees music.

I'm usually a good sport when guys I don't know very well step over the line. If I was in a bad mood that day I would've been insulted by his very tactile brand of flirting. But I could tell he didn't mean any harm, so I let it slide. But mostly, his entire over-the-top personae just left me too stupified to do anything but laugh nervously.

I called Isaac just as he was picking out the shower at Home Depot. He said that because the space was small, he was going to get a 32x32 shower. I said, "I don't know what that means... look can two people fit inside?" Realize, I was just trying to get a frame of reference. He thought I was being literal. He laughed and said, "Oh, Laura, I love you. You bet I'm gonna find a good one for you!"

I stopped by the loft the next morning, and sure enough, it was a shower big enough for two, a 36x36.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home