Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Monday, November 29, 2004

It's Over!!!

No more radiation treatments!!! Good thing because today's was the most painful one. I pretty much cried the entire time because of the mouthpiece pressing against my burned tongue.

I hugged "R" goodbye, Chris and Jody from the first Team Slingblade stopped by after my treatment to give me a hug, and Nurse Tess gave me a hug too.

I met with Dr. Rhoo (?) who told me that my tongue and face didn't seem to suffer too much from the radation treatments. The redness will fade, but the darker pigment will never completely go away. I may be able to wear make-up again in about a month. The swelling in my neck will go down in the coming weeks. My sense of taste will come back in it's own good time. I walked out with the mask and the dental stens, both of which I plan on barbecueing in the near future.

What I really wanted to do was have a cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake. Since that wasn't possible I went shopping. Scored a new suit (went down another size, which means I have to bring the last suit I bought to the tailors), a silk blouse, and (drum roll) a pair of black leather high-heeled, knee-high boots. They are sooooooo sexy. AND they were 50% off! Ding-ding-ding Jackpot! Honestly, I was only looking for a new pair of jeans.

Normally, that would've been a moment of rejoicing, but the Yee-ha! kinda rang hollow because I still would've preferred the cheeseburger.

So the holiday season has officially begun. I have a birthday celebration, a gallery reception, and a party this coming weekend. Next week my friend Eric is flying in to buy me dinner and teach me to ice skate at Pershing Square (I'm an island girl, I only do melted-water sports). Allegra, a former colleague who moved to New York, is also coming back to town for a visit next weekend. Guys, she's reeeeally hot (that's us in the photo above)... I'm so happy!