Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Coffee and Oatmeal

On the way to the office, I dropped by Banquette, a new cafe and wine bar at the Santa Fe Building downtown. I bought a coffee-to-go thinking that by the time I walked into the office it would be cooled-down enough to drink. Until today I've only been able to smell coffee through my mouth, but not really taste it. Surprise! I took a sip and sensed what I remember as Almond Roca. I know there are some coffees out there that have a chocolatey taste to them. But I still can't taste the caramel-filled Hershey's Kisses I've been eating compulsively (which really has to stop). On my way home, I should find out what blend they served this morning.

Around lunchtime I found an old packet of Quaker Blueberries & Cream Oatmeal in my desk drawer. The cafeteria crew went on vacation a day early and I was too lazy to go out for food, so I emptied the packet in a mug of hot water. I didn't taste the blueberries or sugar, but I could very slightly taste the oatmeal.

So things are looking up. Chicken is coming back slowly, so I'm going to make some stir-fry tonight with tofu. I have to stop snacking on chocolate croissants and Kisses. So I bought a pack of dried apricots and raisins; the last thing I need is to acquire a new medical condition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home