Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

1st Full Day

Unfortunately, I didn't get much sleep the night before because my bed and I had to get reacquainted. But I got up around 10am, cleaned up, and spent the entire day reading magazines donated by friends, backgrounding season 4 of Sex and the City, and exercising my tongue. Do you believe it took me all day to consume 3 glasses of liquid?

Day Nurse Jennifer stopped by to make sure I knew how to change my bandages and care for the stitches Dr. Blackwell left; I guess he wanted to save some fun for later. My next appointment with him is on the 14th. I think I'm getting separation anxiety from Dr. McNicoll; I'm such a cliche. I'll have to wait until the 8th for any more sick (but amusing) surprises from him. But seriously, if it weren't for his efforts to get Dr. B in from UCLA to assist, my last day at the hospital would have been my first day in (see Dr. McNicoll rocks!).

So except for the slow drinking and flashing my wounds to a complete stranger, it was like playing hooky. The Docs said that I should be able to try soft food on the 2nd day. I hope so, because I'm craving kiddie food like crazy: chili dogs, corn dogs, cheese pizza, ice cream, gummi bears, etc. I'm going to try some yogurt today, and hope the swelling on my new tongue goes down a lot more.

James says the swelling on my face and neck have gone down a lot in the past 2 days. I'm feeling like Jabba the Hut. But after tonight's photo shoot, I'll post a couple of sick examples for all to decide for themselves. If you're driving over, Irolo and 7th Streets are your best bets for parking in the early evening.

And I've noticed some complete strangers commenting on the blog lately. I just wanted to say thank you for your support and encouragement. This has been the wierdest 2 months of my life


Post a Comment

<< Home