Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, August 12, 2004

An afternoon at Kaiser

I donated my first pint of blood for the surgery yesterday. It only took 10 minutes to harvest this big bag... I nearly passed out looking at it, and I was already lying down. I also took a second set of chest x-rays and picked up my films from Dr. McNicoll's office so I can bring them with me to UCLA when I meet with Dr. Blackwell next Wednesday morning.

I donate my 2nd pint of blood and meet with the anaesthesiologist and internist next Wednesday. They'll go over all I need to do/know directly before zero hour. Then one more meeting with Dr. McNicoll (pre-op) the afternoon of the 25th, and then report to the hospital at 6:00 a.m. on the 26th.

I made some cream of watercress soup, enough to last me until the surgery (watercress is supposed to be bad for carcinomas). I'm still drinking a lot of papaya, cantaloupe, and carrot juice, and learning to love it. Lost 3 more lbs., even though I had some waffles at Roscoe's last weekend. It was worth the pain. Thank God for codeine.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home