Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Surgery, Part II

Met with the surgeon, Dr. McNicoll, yesterday morning. Learned a lot more about my options and the condition of the tumor.

I may have some reconstructive surgery done because the tumor is (on a scale of 0-4) a large 2/small 3. Not just my tongue, but the floor of my mouth may be affected.

They would take a tissue transfer from my wrist, along with one of my arteries in the area, and transfer it to the area of my tongue that's going to be sliced-off. Because lymph nodes in the surrounding area will be taken out as a precaution, there will be a J-shaped scar running from the back of my left ear to the front of my neck. They will replace the tissue on my wrist with tissue from either the front of my thigh or my ass, which is purely a cosmetic decision.

So let me know if you think I should have a scar on the front of my thigh or my ass, because I couldn't care less.

The surgery will be on Tues. Aug 31st at the Kaiser hospital on Sunset Blvd. I'll be donating 2 pints of blood for the surgery as a precaution. My hospital stay will be between 5-6 days because of the reconstruction. Good news is I scored a prescription for Tylenol 3 and had a really good night's sleep last night.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

Hey did our cousin just prescribe mushrooms? Silly boy! Sorry couldn't meet you Thursday.
I see what you mean about some of the comments...

July 30, 2004 2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eye health natural reading, eye health natural reading, eye health natural reading, ... that's all this site is about eye health natural reading

October 21, 2005 11:35 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

Hi Laura,
I have squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue and need about 1/3 removed as you had done, no reconstruction is recommended. In addition a neck dissection on the right side with possible radiation post-op. I want to know what to expect post-op and if you recommend Dr. McNicoll, I have consulted with him. I have seen another doctor at UCLA and they have different opinions.

Thanks and hope you are cancer-free.
Pamela

July 10, 2007 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home