Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Surgery

I have a consult appointment with the surgeon, Dr. McNicoll, next Wednesday morning. This is a chance to bring up specifics on whether I or anyone else needs to donate blood before the surgery (type B+), and anything else I should do/expect. I'm going to confirm the short and long-term side effects of radiation treatment, and ask questions about Proton Therapy. The nearest facility is at Loma Linda University Medical Center (Ali mentioned that the original Int'l House of Pancakes is in that area, and that they serve an incredible apple crisp pancake thing).

Bad news is they're booked, and that the soonest I can get scheduled for surgery is Tues., August 31st. Dr. McNicoll is in surgery all day today, but his R.N., Maria, said she's trying to get me in sooner, keeping an eye out for cancellations. This also means I'll have to come in for another chest x-ray.

The tumor is developing a mind of its own. Sometimes the swelling is low, and I can get banana pudding or guacamole down. But then it just inflames for no good reason and I have to put the food away and down a margarita before I pass out from the pain.

A friend of mine mentioned a Spanish version of Cointreau, and I found it: Cuaranta y Tres. Mix 2 oz. Patron, 1 oz. Cuaranta y Tres, 1 oz. lime juice and ice in a cocktail shaker, strain into a chilled martini glass, drink. Repeat at least two more times.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 26, 2004 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home