Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Friday, July 16, 2004

2 Asians, an Armenian, 2 Irishmen, and an American walk into an examination room...

So they took turns pressing on the tumor (OUCH!!!), feeling-up my neck and jaw, stuck a camera up my nose and down my throat, and gave me two options:
 
1) Slice off the rest of the tumor on my tongue, which covers about a 4 cm diameter, and some of my lymph nodes in the same area (I had no idea we have around 30). Recovery from the surgery would only take a week, and I would be talking like Marlee Matlin for a good long time. That's 1/3 of my tongue out the window, and a scar on the left side of my neck. Full recovery, barring any further complications, would take about a year.
2) Radiation treatments every day for six weeks, recovery time would be 2 weeks. My mouth would be dry, with some burning discomfort, I would have to carry a bottle of water around with because I would have dry mouth forever, and I would have a diminished sense of taste for the rest of my life.
 
So, I chose to be the proverbial wolf that chewed off her foot and get the thing sliced off. There's no way I'm going to let anything diminish the taste of chocolate, coffee, or... hell, anything.
 
After the surgery, I'm considering learning sign language just to play with people's minds. If anyone asks about the scar, I'll tell them I got in a knife fight with my doctor.
 
I'll let you know when the surgery is scheduled.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So while the hard shell tacos are off limits, consider the many luscious soft foods... risotto, mashed potatoes with garlic, asparagus soup, baba ghanoush, chocolate malteds, sponge cake soaked in rum, mango smoothies...

Hang in there and let us know what we can do.

Rose & Jim

July 20, 2004 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take megadoses of vitamin C and lots of rest. These will rebuild your immnune system. I am praying for your quick recovery.

July 22, 2004 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right in choosing that thing to be sliced off. Radiation and or chemo therapy will kill both
the bad and the good cells. You want to preserve your good cells too to be able to fight off those unwanted carcinoma cells. Read on antioxidants (Vitamin C, grapeseed oil and more) and take them. They are like food supplements but are powerful to prevent more oxidation of the weak cells. I am confident that before the surgery commence the tumor would have sunk. Diet, exercise (to allow more oxigenation of the cells) and plenty of rest for your physical restoration. I am praying for you.

July 22, 2004 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey laura...it is me...the sign language interpreter...you know, your bother's friend ______, if you need any help with that sign language thingy, I got some signs as well as "GESTURES" that may be helpful after the surgery...ha ha ha take care of yourself and I will be praying for your quick recovery

August 04, 2004 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home