Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Slice and Dice

I showed Dr. McNicoll the lumps I was worried about, and he said those were nothing. However, there was another lump closer to where some stitches hadn't dissolved. He said that sometimes, scar tissue accumulates and hardens in those areas. But knowing that I would just drive myself crazy if he didn't do anything, he took the precaution of performing a biopsy on it.

So while he was sticking the novacaine needle around my tongue, he commented that the nerve endings in the new area appeared to be working (based on my twitching). He sliced two samples, and of course showed them to me before tossing them into the lab cup, and told me the results would be in by next Wednesday. Otherwise, my mouth looked good.

All the aching and sharp pains, even in my ear, were normal. I'm just being a big baby (my words, not his). But he was surprised to hear that I'd regained my sense of taste completely. Usually, only part of it comes back.

Since the novacaine is starting to wear off, I'm going to take two codeine and try to eat some dinner. I skipped lunch today, and I'm starting to feel it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home