Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Friday, February 18, 2005

My Not-So-Dirty Little Mouth, Part II

Dr. Lam called this morning. She spoke to Dr. Soltani about cutting my fluoride treatments to every other day because of the staining. Dr. Soltani said it should be every day because of the acidity in my saliva.

So I asked if it was okay to use something like Rembrandt occaisionally. Dr. Lam said no because the alcohol content will dry out my mouth. Besides, the staining really isn't noticeable, and that I was being a jerk (my words not hers). Good thing, because I'm back to drinking Vietnamese coffee in the morning, and I don't want to stop.

The swelling left on my neck and jaw has really gone down since I've been massaging it daily. When I press on a specific spot below my ear, I feel a tugging inside my fake tongue. It's kinda freaky, but I've gotten in the habit of rubbing that spot absent-mindedly.

Tet Festival 2005 in Garden Grove, CASpeaking of Vietnam, I went to the Tet Festival in Garden Grove this past weekend. Because of the rains it was like walking through a rice paddy. The costumes were great, but the food was just ok. There was nothing there I couldn't get any other weekend, and without getting my boots all muddy.

Since it looks like I won't have to go to a wedding in Connecticut this summer, I'm thinking more seriously about taking that trip to Hanoi in June. I've been pricing airfare and tours that include Cambodia. I'm also spending a lot more time on the Our Man In Hanoi blog.

I should just do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home