Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Hair

Leslie told me about a friend of hers who underwent chemo for ovarian cancer. When her hair grew back, it was thinner, and not as healthy as it used to be before treatment.

Leannah has a friend who underwent chemo for breast cancer. When her hair grew back, it was thick and curly. Before treatment it was thin and straight.

I'm getting used to the idea of shaving my head and looking like a Space Monkey for a while. But tattoos on my head and loud, annoying earrings are out of the question, so don't start with me, Eric.

Yesterday was rough. I'm spending more time in the stairwell meditating the pain away instead of at my desk. I was bartending at Cole's that evening, but left early. The crowd was becoming too annoying, and Ali broke out his cigar. It made me nauseous.

I also have to stop examining my tongue. It hurts all over, but when I start pressing on some areas, I freak myself out if it even hints at a possible tumor. I joined the Cancer Survivor's Network on the ACS website. Mistake. I just ended up depressed and scared after reading a few "survivor stories." I hope those websites help some people, because they sure as hell don't help me. I'll stick to the message boards on the Mouth Cancer Awareness Message Boards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home