Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Bad news really does travel faster

Since I wasn't expecting the results from the biopsy until Wednesday, I knew that Dr. McNicoll's call early this morning wasn't good news.

The results showed a "recurrence of the tumor." He spoke to the chemotherapy doctor earlier, and I may have to undergo that procedure next. He's going to be at the Tumor Clinic this morning to discuss me with the radation doctors and the chemo doctor. We're going to talk again this afternoon.

This time, he suggested that I talk to someone at social services. I said, "Sure. That would be great." Auto-pilot is a wonderful thing sometimes.

I had just arrived at the office when he called. As soon as I hung up, I broke down, and Leannah was right there. I cried on her shoulder for a few minutes, then went home.

I haven't been able to reach my parents yet. I may wait until after I talk to Dr. McNicoll this afternoon, then drive over tonight. James asked if I wanted him to come over. I told him I wanted to be alone right now.

So, I'm at home drinking Vietnamese ice coffee, listening to Velvet Underground, and typing away. I'll probably embargo this entry until I talk to my family.

I guess this means dating season is over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home