Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Problems, new and old

For the past few days I've been waking up in the middle of the night. Not just once, but a few times. I wasn't sure until today why: I've started snoring... loud. I caught myself once while I was nodding off. It woke me right back up. I'm guessing that as the swelling goes down closer to the back of my throat, it affects my breathing when I'm lying down.

Also, I had sushi this weekend. The good news is that I can taste salmon, halibut, yellowtail, and crab. The bad news is I can taste salmon, halibut, yellowtail, and crab. I ate my way right into a stomach ache. I haven't had one of those in a loooong time. It's exciting that I'm able to taste more and more each week. But I'm also eating more. I guess now would be a good time to step-up my workouts.

I found out that mouth cancer is very big in the U.K. They even have a Mouth Cancer Awareness Week in November. I found a blog by Pauline Thomas who went through radiotherapy for a squamous cell carcinoma they found on her neck back in June of 2002. I wish I'd found her site after I was told I had to go through radiation therapy. She posted pictures of the radiation marks on her neck also.

From what I could tell on the Mouth Cancer Foundation website, there's a lot more support for this type of cancer in the U.K. I suppose that's because a larger percentage of the population smokes and drinks compared to America. I looked for support groups online when this thing started, but I guess my mistake was starting in American cancer organizations. They're all full of lung, breast, and ovarian support, though. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home