Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Bobble-Head Chef

How did this happen? Somehow, I scheduled four dinner parties in one week: loft-warming, catching-up w/an old friend, Chinese New Year, and consoling a friend who's getting a divorce (yes, another marriage bites the dust). Which is fine usually - the dinner parties, not the divorce - except for the fact that I'm the one cooking.

The one-bottle-admission rule is still in effect, but I've also been buying at least 4 bottles each weekend. I have more bottles than canned goods. The regular girl at my wine shop has gotten so sick of me that she gave me the number and work schedule of their Spanish and Portuguese wine expert so she won't have to pass along any more of my requests.

People were in and out all afternoon Sunday, despite the Super Bowl. Fortunately, all the dishes were washed and put away by 10pm. I had a great time. Drank all day, and discovered that I can taste paté. Agnieszka took pictures non-stop until the pizzas started coming out of the oven, I felt like I had my own cooking show. I also scored a great mixing bowl set from Marycruz. Leslie brought this amazing paté, and everyone devoured the latest concoction: banana bread pudding.

But the best part... I'm still not gaining weight. Maybe it's the walking to and from work every day, I don't know. But I'd better not say any more because I don't want to jinx it.

All week long, I've been waking up in the middle of the night. Not because of the snoring. I'm pretty sure that's done with. It's because I've been so dehydrated. I keep a glass of water by my bed now. Last night, I woke up at least four times because my mouth was so dry. During the day I seem to be producing enough saliva, but at night... zip. I should probably cool it with the wine and coffee, but they taste so good.

I still haven't bought any new clothes. I did go shopping. But I don't so much shop as hunt. I prowl around the racks, and if it doesn't look good from 2 feet away, I just keep on walking. My girlfriends hate that, which is why I usually go shopping alone. Also, it seemed like everything that fit (that wasn't a suit) looked too provocative for my comfort. Or maybe I still haven't gotten used to being this thin.

Will I ever?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home