Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Deux it!

Far too much drama at the office this morning! Although it was great catching up with out-of-town colleagues, there was an unfortunate downside to the reason why they were in town. But enough about work.

There was a newbie at the waiting room this afternoon. "H" had breast cancer surgery and today was her radiation simulation appointment. "R" had already gone in for her treatment so it was me and "B" easing her into the circle. She's Spanish, I think in her mid-50s, and awfully sweet. She overheard "R" and I talking to "S" about her dinner last night at Versailles (Viva Cuba!). I sooo miss the taste of chicken.

Still in pain and not very hopeful about enjoying a Thanksgiving feast. So in my depressed state I ended up buying four more bottles of wine I can't drink yet. Two of them will be opened tomorrow. My cousin who gave birth this past July deserves a drink, and I'd been promising her a bottle of Chilean red and a chocolate bar. The other two I may open for a crush I promised to cook dinner for. At least I had him in mind when I bought them. God knows I already have plenty other bottles stashed in the safe already.

I also bought an issue of Food & Wine. There's a feature called "Overachiever's Open House: 21 dishes to wow friends". Does that scream me or what? Not sure exactly when this open house is going to be. But I've been toying with the idea of having a series of housewarming parties; keeping it small and casual. Maybe one Sunday brunch, a tapas night, a potluck dinner, and a pizza party. I've got a lot of wine to get rid of.

I was afraid that losing my sense of taste, even temporarily, would kill my ability to prepare a decent meal. But according to James it hasn't, and I've been trying out some new stuff as well. I guess after reaching a certain point, instinct just takes over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home