Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Codeine,... sweet codeine

That laser they're blasting me with seems to be proving its accuracy. The left side of my mouth is jacked. Brushing and flossing on that side is excruciating. My jaw (as warned) is starting to stiffen-up, so every so often I have to literally stretch my mouth open as far as I can with my hands, like a lion tamer, several times a day.

My sense of salty and sour are gone. Sweet and bitter are drifting over the horizon. I tried Indian food for lunch today. At least it was fragrant and spicy enough to register some reaction. I was able to remember enough of how it tasted like to fill in the blanks. I've been eating a lot of ice cream sundaes because chocolate syrup, caramel, and peanut butter are still detectable. Not good for the skin, but I think I'm drinking enough water to counteract any potential zits.

My energy level is back up. I think it's because I forced myself to continue with the yoga even when I was tired. Or maybe it's because Gazpacho is bringing out the goofy side of me. She's been seeking me out more often, so playing with her is keeping my spirits up a lot. Renting action movies helps a little, too. But now I want to buy a motorcyle and build up my own private arsenal.

I've started a new blog because November is National Novel Writing Month and there's a whole other side of me that has no business on Kevin's Dead Cat. I've called it "Perils of the Rational Mind". So if you're offended by my political views, emotional promiscuity, or opinions on contemporary culture... you'd best stay away from this blog (or get in my face on the comments section).