Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

2 months later...

Arm - Since I've been slathering it with baby oil every day it's looking- I wouldn't say good, but less disgusting. I think the skin graft is getting narrower, and it's starting to ache sometimes. Before, it was only my thumb and pointing finger that felt tingly/numb. But for the past few days, the tips of my other fingers have been starting to feel the same way. My next appointment with Dr. Blackwell isn't until Nov. 9th, but if it becomes a problem I have his email address. I can flex my hand back a lot farther than I used to. Still having problems with the shoulder, but it's improving a little bit each week.

Leg - The scar is still there, but more of the skin is returning to normal color.

Neck - The skin right below the jawline is still a little swollen, but you'd have to really look to notice. Same with the J-scar. For whatever reason, the tracheotomy wound is starting to itch. The skin around it is still tight, but sometimes it feels like someone is rubbing the tip of a quill around it.

Tongue - All the stitches have dissolved, and the only swelling left is underneath the left side. It tingles a lot, but I don't think the nerve endings have kicked in completely. Still talking like a deaf person, but I can be understood over the phone much better. I can lick my lips now, but not an envelope. Weird.

Almost done with the first week of radiation therapy. Still hate going there. Still annoyed by the whole idea. Still dreading the day when the side effects will kick in. Then again there's Caramel Ice Blendeds, chipotle, and a brand new season of The West Wing. So things aren't all bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home