Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Team Slingblade

Had my "Radiation Planning" appointment this afternoon. The Radiation/Oncology bunker is in the lower, lower level of 4950 Sunset Blvd. The place is huge! 20x50 feet with ceilings at least 25 ft high. But they do amazing things with taupe and coral. There were about 25 patients and family members waiting when I got there. I was easily the youngest person there by at least 15 years.

Janelle, one of my "team members" brought me back to go over side-effects, do's and don'ts, and to sign more release forms. I asked for a morning schedule, but I got 1:13pm...1:13??? Anyway, I start on Monday. They have eight radiation rooms, all with names like Enterprise, The Ark, and Celebrity. I was assigned to Galactica, but I asked if I could be transferred to BillyBob (Mmm-hmmm). I was, but just for today.

The room was quite nice. Quiet, low-lit, a bit chilly, the zapping machine took up half the room. On the ceiling, there was a huge lightbox with a hi-res picture of a blue sky and cherry blossom branches. So when you're lying on the metal slab, it's like your just taking a nap in the park! If I still had my morphine drip I bet I could've made the trees sway. So I put on the mouthpiece, they fastened my head to the table with the mask, and the metallic humming and vibrating commenced. It was just more x-rays to help calibrate the beam so they're zapping my tongue and not my ear. Then I was cut loose for the rest of the day.

The Senator heard that I was back in the office. She ordered me to come in for half days for a while. I guess one of the traitors I work with told her how much of a disruption I've been this week. I brought in my copy of "America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction" ("Find out which of the Founding Mothers were FMILFs"). Anyone calling in to the front office must wonder what all the laughing in the background is about. So I drove to Cerritos and nibbled on some Filipino soul food for an hour and a half while reading the day's press clips. Yes, it's all coming back to me now. If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

So since I'm interacting with friends and colleagues more frequently like BC (that's right, Before Cancer) I realize I didn't truly appreciate how hilarious the people in my life are. The word "funny" doesn't quite do the job since there are some out there who are truly drama queens (and you all know who you are). I may have to start changing the focus of this blog if radiation therapy becomes more of a downer than I expect it to be.

Sol asked me what it would take to get mentioned on the blog. Apparently, not much. But if you read bad poetry to impress chicks, call me in the middle of the night looking for your husband, or ignore me after I give you an iPod for your birthday (and you ALL know who you are), you might want to submit an alias.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home