Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Happy Anniversary

Where does the time go? One month already since I went under the knife. I'm speaking more clearly, my leg wound is getting back to normal skin color, and my arm has almost all its flexibility back. Yesterday was the first time I woke up without immediately thinking about how wierd my mouth felt. Yesterday was a good day.

I report to Radiation Oncology on October 8th. I got an info booklet from Kaiser on side effects and other stuff to expect. The actual treatments take 5 minutes, 5 days a week, for 6 weeks. Aside from dry mouth, loss of appetite and a little fatigue, I don't expect too many problems on a daily basis. So I'm starting to feel a little better about the whole thing.

Tomorrow morning is my dental appointment at UCLA. Since I'll be producing less saliva, I'm at more risk for cavities, so I'm supposed to get some sort of fluoride gel and tray to use during radiation therapy.

The hardest part about this past month hasn't been physical, although it has been a challenge. Every time something new comes up, most of my efforts have been towards getting myself in an emotional and psychological place where I'm not bitching or whining about the whole ordeal. I haven't been praying. Not for time to turn back and make the tumor go away, or for strength and serenity, or anything so cliche. But I have been thanking him for James. I knew he was pretty wonderful before, but to make me feel like the luckiest cancer patient in the world?... that's quite a feat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home