Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

First Day Back at the Office (post-op)

As my colleague Evelyn said this morning, "Working sucks, but not working is worse." 'Ain't it the truth? Left to my own devices for one more day would be good for the GDP, but bad for my bank account. My colleagues had hung a big banner welcoming me back, complete with photos of all my crushes (Edward Norton, Toby Zeigler, Eddie Izzard, to name a few).

Then I remembered that I only have one suit, which I bought last week since none of my pre-op office clothes fit any more. I guess it's casual day for the rest of the week until I can get the old stuff altered or new stuff bought.

BTW, don't bother trying the "Nutella" flavored ice cream at Bristol Farms; it tastes just like Jerseymaid's Mocha Almond Fudge. And if any of my friends in the Westside are wondering why there were no Maggie Cheung films at Cinefile over the weekend, I've got them all. I promise to return them tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger clowny said...

I just learned this evening that Jacques Derrida died. I had just rented a documentary about him on Friday, the day he passed away. It's a good thing I didn't rent "Superman" on Saturday, although I'm not completely convinced that on some level I'm not a jinx.

Earlier this year, one of my best friends lost his mother to pancreatic cancer, the same type Derrida died of. Another friend lost his aunt to esophageal cancer. Yet another friend lost his father to cancer earlier this year, and so on, ad nauseum...

I'm growing to hate the sight of all those Lance Armstrong bracelets that it seems EVERYONE is wearing. And for the last time, my hair is not going to fall off when I start radiation therapy; that happens with chemotherapy.

I just needed to get all that off my chest. I had such a good day today. Now I'm ready to pick a fight.

October 12, 2004 10:17 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

Toby Zeigler? You are a freak!
Hey I happen to like MY Lance Armstrong bracelet. Anyway you forgot to take the other Maggie Cheung films I had with you.
hmmmm.... Mocha almond fudge....aaaghghghghghhh.

October 13, 2004 7:26 PM  
Blogger clowny said...

It's not the sentiment I have a problem with. I just can't swing a dead cat over my head without hitting someone who's wearing one.

Plus it reminds me of how annoyingly ubiquitous Lance Armstrong has become. What's an average girl gotta do to capitalize on being a cancer survivor? It's like I'm not trying hard enough to benefit from a tragedy. I don't mean on a George W. Bush level. But free meals aren't really doing it anymore.

October 14, 2004 10:27 AM  
Blogger clowny said...

Found a better obit on Jacques Derrida:

Jacques Derrida, Thinker Who Influenced and Infuriated a Range of Humanistic Fields, Dies at 74 - The Chronicle of Higher Education

October 15, 2004 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home