Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Introducing Dr. Keith Blackwell

Went to UCLA Medical Plaza this morning to meet with Dr. Blackwell. Like Dr. McNicoll, a very nice man who talks entirely too much about worst-case scenarios. If you're squeamish, do not read the next paragraph.

He described how I may wake-up with a titanium jaw if the cancer has spread that far, or if they need to get farther down my throat and split my jaw at the chin to open it up. So call me "9-iron" because that's what a lot of golf clubs are made out of. He doesn't think I'll have any problems breathing, but I may also wake up with a tracheotomy hole on my throat. And I thought they couldn't freak me out more than they already have.

Nine more days and counting. Tomorrow I meet with the internist and anesthesiologist.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

Titanium Jaw?!!! Cool and... ewww.
If you need help with the "freaking out" let me know.

August 18, 2004 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home