Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Monday, September 13, 2004

Pizza

This weekend, I ate about a square inch of Hawaiian Pizza. Since my tongue is swollen, most of the chewing was done by my fork, but I managed to get the stuff down. I tasted some of the pineapple and tomato sauce, but because I got a little too eager, I also bit into a numb part of my tongue by accident. Dr. Blackwell warned me that when I was ready to try solid food I should expect that a 10 minute meal would take 1 hour. Since my tasting is diminished still, the better choice was a bowl of Hot & Sour Soup I got Friday night. That was actually very good. I had a hard time when I tried the tofu, but 5 minutes later, it got chewed and swallowed.

As of this morning, the tracheotomy hole is closed. I'm still putting a Band-Aid over it, but now I'm breathing solely through my nose and mouth. Now the priority is the scars. The swelling on my neck and face is continuing to go down, but still there. My neck stretching is coming along nicely. Hopefully, I'll get enough range of motion to drive to Cole's this Wednesday. Wish me luck.

I see Dr. Blackwell tomorrow morning. I hope he takes the stitches out of my arm. They're keeping me awake without the Tylenol 3, and the skin around the edges are pretty dry. Fat is starting to accumulate underneath the graft, finally. Every time I change the dressing, I get dizzy looking at muscle and tendon.

Saw "Hero" again this weekend. Rented "The Ladykillers" and "The Red Violin". But I couldn't find "Demonlover" (sorry Lane, I tried), which I hear is hilarious. Otherwise, I just napped and exercised all weekend.

Now that I'm starting to eat real food again, I'm going to have to step up my workouts. I mean, what's the point of following the cancer diet if I only end up gaining all the weight back?

1 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

Hey that's great! Good news about the tasting food part, did you ever try to taste that stuff they were pumping in you through the feeding tube?
Hey If you really want to go to Cole's, give me a call and I'll pick you up. 'k?

September 13, 2004 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home