Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Life is what happens between meals

I had lunch with my friend Paul today. We used to have such fun lunches when we were colleagues, so today we went to our favorite spot and had one of our favorite dishes: albondigas soup with EVERYTHING on it. I was so busy catching up with him, comparing favorite Ron Burgundy quotes, and generally having a great time that it didn't really hit me until afterwards that I could taste EVERYTHING!!!

It just seemed so familiar, like no time passed since the last time we had lunch together, that being able to taste things like chicken broth, celery, guacamole, sour cream, olives, meatballs, and onions seemed... not unusual. Paul, thanks for another great memory.

Then I realized that it's been days since I've had trouble swallowing anything. I suppose I've been so busy chewing on oatmeal that I haven't realized that the swallowing bit hasn't been a hassle.

Big Eric was over last night to finish the satellite tv-thing. We were watching Donny Osmond on "The Kumars at No. 42" while eating tofu soup, so I was too busy laughing to realize, until today, that I could taste the bok choy, sesame, and ginger! What the hell else have I been missing?

I guess I have a lot to report to the radiation doctors tomorrow morning.

(Sigh) It's Thursday already. I'm having a great fucking week. I LOVE EVERYBODY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home