Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Friday, January 07, 2005

Radiation Therapy Follow-Up #1

My follow-up this morning was with Dr. Julie Hwang. She was very cute, probably the same age as me, married, and very nice. She didn't stick the scope up my nose, but she did stick her fingers farther down my throat than any of the other doctors.

Dr. Hwang said I'm recovering from the radiation very quickly. I should keep an eye out for new lumps in my mouth, on my neck and jaw, or any new types of pain. Teeth tend to be more brittle after radiation, but she said mine look great, and to keep up with the fluoride treatments and regular check-ups. She didn't know what my Kaiser coverage was regarding the dentists at UCLA. I may have to switch from my regular dentist, Dr. Lam. I really don't want to since her offices are downtown, and she's the one who got the ball rolling on my diagnosis. Oh yeah, she's really pretty, too.

Speaking of good-looking doctors, I spotted Dr. McNicoll on my way out. He was talking to a patient and I didn't want to interrupt, so we didn't get to chat. But yeah, the 7th grade crush is still in effect.

I took the Red Line today instead of driving around in the storm. It was raining like a sonofabitch while I was out. Windy, too. But after the appointment, I got off at Union Station so that I could walk through Olvera Street Plaza in the rain. I had the entire place to myself. For a stormy day it was really beautiful out.

I don't know what it is about walking around deserted, old buildings in the rain that makes me feel chipper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home