Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

7

I had to wait over an hour before I got zapped this afternoon. Just before I arrived, they had a fire drill, so everyone's schedule was backed up. But I was able to chat for a while with the red wig w/breast cancer I mentioned before, let's call her "R". Her radiation treatments are ending the same time as mine. She had to get sliced twice, stay in the hospital during her chemotherapy, and now radiation. She's awfully chipper considering everything she's gone through. She's also much older than she looks, and she looks great.

Turns out I don't have to come in on Thanksgiving Day for radiation since the building is closed that day. Not that it matters since Turkey Day this year is pretty much ruined already since I can't taste anything. So my last treatment will be on Monday, November 29th.

There's another side effect to this whole cancer thing that I did NOT expect. Men are just popping up everywhere; attorneys, federal marshals, FedEx guys, even an architect. I know it's because of the weight loss, which is considerable. But even friends I've known for a long time are starting to, shall we say, pay more than friendly attention. It's disorienting. And I really need to come up with a more tactful response than, "Echhhh, that's like making-out with my brother!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home