Kevin's Dead Cat

After surgery sliced off an entire tumor and 1/3 of my tongue, plus six weeks of radiation therapy, I've been re-learning how to eat, drink, and talk with my newly re-constructed tongue and coping with side effects. But the cancer came back and I don't know what's going to happen next.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I don't want life to imitate art. I want life to be art.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Laura's in the hospital

On Wednesday night, Laura had a very bad coughing episode and was coughing blood through her tracheostomy. I called the paramedics and they took us to County Hospital (the closest) Emergency. The bleeding was gotten under control quickly--she most likely broke a blood vessel because she was coughing so hard. After about 5 hours in emergency she was transferred to Kaiser West LA, where they're keeping her under observation because she also has an infection in her lungs. There hasn't been any more bleeding, and she is taking IV antibiotics for the infection. She will be in the hospital until Sunday at least and perhaps longer. Normally she would be at Sunset, but West LA had the only available rooms on Wednesday night. Call me or the hospital for more information. Sorry I haven't had time to let you all know personally. Thanks everyone.

James

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, James.

It's become apparent to me that a blog really gets the word out about life-threatening emergencies better than any other means, and I'm sure you agree.

A hug and kiss to both of you.

August 19, 2005 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i visited Laura before going to Cole's. Her spirits were up and she is looking great. we talked about the blood drive and I asked her if she would come up to see everyone if she felt okay. She said she will try..
Love, Ali
P.S. Keep the calls coming...Laura thanked everyone for their prayers and wishes.

August 19, 2005 4:03 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

Hey James,
Thank you very much for the phone call and for letting us know what's going on. If you need anything, just give me a call.

Angel

August 19, 2005 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been reading celia's blog for months, after i came across it while reading an LA Times piece about downtown... i'm fascinated by downtown living, though i live in venice because it's close to work. i can barely remember the story, but somehow i continued reading her blog. i just came across your blog now... and i've read the whole thing.

i don't even know what to say, besides i wish you much goodwill. i'm glad you have so many good people around you.

bich ngoc

August 20, 2005 3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura and James,
Thinking of you.
Take care,

East Coast Carolyn

August 22, 2005 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending you well wishes, Laura. It would be awesome to see you the day of the blood drive. take care. -Amy

August 22, 2005 12:31 PM  
Blogger Merujo said...

I wish I lived in Los Angeles. I would be there on August 26th with bells on. But, as a total stranger 3,000 miles away, the best I can do is send every good thought and let all my Los Angeles friends know. I've posted an entry to my blog and sent posts to my Yahoo groups heavy with Los Angeles folks, so they know about the blood drive and Laura's blog.

My parents both had cancer. Four of my siblings have had cancer. Three of my friends are suffering from cancer. One of my brothers is dying from cancer. It's an evil thing, and I wish us all victory over it.

Be well.

- Merujo

August 22, 2005 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home